Friday, 9 April 2010

Upcoming Films that Fill Me with Childish Glee

This will be the first in a short series of previews of upcoming movies due out this year. Let's begin with a selection of films that I am genuinely excited to see; a bunch of movies that make me do a girly giggle everytime I think about them.

(All opinions featured in this post are completely unfounded and speculative and liable to be revoked without notice)



Iron Man 2



Didn't you see the first one? It was the most purely fun Superhero movie in ages, maybe ever. RDJ is king of you, but if that's not enough; we have Mickey Rourke doing Russian acting and flailing electro-whippage around, robots smashing the shit out of each other, explosions, a suit-in-a-suitcase, a flame-haired Scarlett Johansson in a skin-tight outfit and Sam Rockwell. And Don Cheadle. And Larry Sanders. And Chris Martin's Mrs being not-as-annoying-as-usual.


Robin Hood



Big Russ appears to be doing his best Sean Bean impression in this film, and it certainly seems to be being promoted as "Gladiator 2: Maximus in the Hood", but Ridley Scott directing a historical epic that is attempting to tell the story of Robin Hood properly? Without American accents? Mark Strong as a villain (as usual)? Max Von Sydow as Richard Harris (apparently)? Keamy from LOST as Little John? Danny Huston as Richard the Lionheart? Cate Friggin Blanchett as Marian? Yes, please.


Scott Pilgrim vs. The World



If you haven't read these comics already, you probably shouldn't. Unless you are a fan of video games, anime, comicbooks, films and other nerdy things. Now when I say "unless you're a fan of", I mean "unless your life revolves around" these things. There is, however, a sweet little romance and some drama-type-stuff for non-nerds and girls, so the appeal may be just broad enough for success. It's directed by Edgar Wright, the director responsible for "Spaced", "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz" and looks to be manic, flourescent, fit-inducing fun of the highest calibre.


Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole



Director of 300 and Watchmen dabbles with animation. Y'know, for kids! Basically, it looks like Lord of the Rings WITH OWLS! AUSTRALIAN OWLS! WITH ARMOUR! It sounds loopy, but the trailer got me thinking of things like "Watership Down" and "The Secret of Nimh", which made me regress instantly to my childhood. And what the hell is a Ga'hoole? Whatever it is, I'm glad it's being guarded. By owls.


Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time



This is the guilty pleasure of the list. It just looks like my kind of film. English-accented Donnie Darko bouncing here and there and everywhere, high adventure that's beyond compare, tongue firmly in cheek, solid cast including fledgling-messiah Toby Kebbell (from "Dead Man's Shoes", "Control" and "Rocknrolla"), what could go wrong? Mind you, I did feel almost the same way about "Clash of the Titans", and that's not up to much, from what I've seen.


Toy Story 3



It's Toy Story 3. Come on.


Inception



Movie mega-brain Chris Nolan spits a script from his mind-tank that is apparently actually set in someone's mind-tank. From what little is known about the plot, it's about stealing ideas from inside people's brains or summat. Which looks like an excuse for Nolan to apply all sorts of bizzarro dream-logic to a big-budget action-bonanza. It's got my current favourite acting-face in it, along with Juno, the long-haired kid from "3rd Rock from the Sun", Sir Mickey Caine, the Scarecrow, and more! This is what happens when a cerebral director makes a massive hit superhero movie. He gets a blank cheque to go bonkers. But will it just be a load of self-indulgent toss? Time will tell.


The Losers/The A-Team/The Expendables





I think these are the same film. Or a series or something. They deserve a special mention simply because I am excited to see which one wins out in the "so-bad-it's-good" stakes, or if any of them could actually turn out to be quality. Plus, I'm looking forward to some "Who'd win in a fight?" nerd debates. Losers vs A-Team vs Expendables. The real Clash of the Titans.

Stay tuned for more films what are coming soon and I have heard of. Still to come: "Upcoming Films I am Curious About" and "Upcoming Films that Fill Me with Dread".

7 comments:

  1. Prince of Persia before Tron? And who's cock has Strong been on to get all these new roles? If your film is slightly English, only one man to be your baddie. I thought Guy Ritchie films were meant to kill careers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tron'll be in the "Curious" post. Old Tron traumatised me as a child. Mark Strong is legend. He doesn't need to get on cock to get jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't even heard of Scott Pilgrim beyond the Edgar Wright connection until a few months back. The trailer definitely caught my eye, as did the cast, since there's a lot of funny and talented people in there. Then I looked on Wikipedia and saw just how many obscure NES game references were in the story and knew I had to see it.

    Kick-Ass similarly looks like a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to Iron Man 2 and the next Harry Potter movie, as givens, and I'm looking forward to seeing Greenberg at some point, since I enjoyed Noah Baumbach's previous two films quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one film on this list that really gets my attention is Legend of the Guardians. When I first heard what it was about I thought it would just be another animals acting cute animated movie but the trailer makes it look epic. I don't know if it's just the 30 Seconds to Mars song, but I think this movie could possibly be a true classic for the whole family of both grand emotional sweep and lots of excitment. I hope it's as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^ I think it's the combination of the song and the fact the opening narration is Agent Smith.

    I am so excited to see Scott Pilgrim I fear I might pee a little in the theater. Also Iron Man 2, and The Losers...and mostly everything else on this list. I look forward to being broke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time! Excited to see what it'll turn out like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Benjamin: You should read the comics. They're very amusing. And Kick Ass would be on this list if I hadn't already seen it. It was very good:

    http://theintermittentsprocket.blogspot.com/2010/03/kick-ass-does-it.html


    Mike: I'm the same. I would normally be loathe to put a talking animal film on a list like this, but the trailer and the fact that it's directed by a bloke better known for blood-thirsty comic adaptations gets me giddy.

    Sugar: Agent Smith does make any movie 60% more exciting. You should probably visit the lavatory before you take your seat.

    GoodMorning: PoP looks like fun. I've not really played any of the games since the first one on the Amiga years back, so I'm just expecting Gyllenhaal to run from one side of the screen to another, jumping over pits and onto platforms.

    ReplyDelete