Friday, 22 April 2011

Notice

I have been neglecting this blog a little of late. This is due to a combination of lack of notable events in my place of work, my inability to watch the latest releases due to school holiday scheduling (we have films on from nine in the morning, meaning no time for print-checks), and the growing realisation that this soggy corner of the blog-swamp will soon be irrevocably altered.

I handed my notice in at work today.

I will leave my job on the tenth of June. No more will I shine a light through a window for a living. No more will I sit in a room with no windows, hearing only the incessant clatter of soon-to-be-obsolete machinery. I'm going out to face the real world.

This decision has been brought about by several factors, namely the impending projection shake-up which will see us replaced with robotronic light-shiners, and my rapidly approaching thirtieth birthday. When the digital changeover hits, I will have the choice of staying with the company and jockeying popcorn or managing shifts (both of which strike me as hellishly unsuitable for my temperament) or leaving anyway. So there is the "jump before being pushed" motivation.

Then there is the fact that I turn twenty-nine next month and have very little to show for my life so far. I've been a projectionist for nearly five years, and think it's time for a change.

So, I'm off to London to seek my fortune. I hear the streets are paved with gold and they make you Mayor if you bring a cat or something.

What does this mean for the future of The Intermittent Sprocket? I don't know. You may see some changes in the coming weeks. I might start writing about wider topics as my access to movies dries up, maybe TV or music or books or crisps or navel lint will become more prominent features. I don't know.

Everyone's flagging down the reboot bandwagon at the moment, so maybe it's time for The Intermittent Sprocket 2.0?

The blog will continue as is until at least the tenth of June, but after that, who knows?

For now, here's some puppets and TV's Kevin Bishop pretending to sing a song:

9 comments:

  1. Bogus. In a few years you might look on this as the beginning rather than the end though. Look me up when you hit London town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in whatever it is you decide to do in the big smoke Mass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best in your future ventures.
    I sincerely hope that you're not going to stop singing for Blogalongabond though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suit: It is certainly a new beginning, and it's a date! Just, yknow, without the romance.

    Fizz: Cheers!

    Russ: Thanks! And I have made a commitment to Blogalonga Bond which I will complete as long as there is breath in my body.

    Thanks for comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ... i think it's smart to jump before the ship sinks.

    adventures await you my friend :)

    do you need a cat to bring with you? i have three and one i'm very eager to let go of ... you must wear oven mitts when handing him however

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey matey, I wish you well in your new journey.
    London will finally have a spark of red rather than the dodgy greys and blacks.
    I shall await your mighty comeback.
    Don't forget to click your red shoes if you miss home.
    Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck dude, we're all pullin for ya here in internetworld!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll cry if your blogging ends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheers to all, and Nicole: it's not over yet!

    ReplyDelete